I never liked blueberries until I had my first blueberry muffin.
I don’t exactly remember when it was. But I had a nice warm blueberry muffin with some slightly melted butter on top of it. Oh man it was delicious and it has become not only my go to muffin at any cafe, it’s also my ultimate favourite.
The only thing I haven’t done yet is make my own blueberry muffins.
Firstly, I want to share just some of the benefits I found interesting in this superfood. Other than it being full of antioxidants
- Reduces the risk of a heart attack
- Lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes by 23%
- Reduces inflammation in brain cells
- Improves binocular vision
- Aids weight loss
- Slows breakdown of bones
- Memory booster
- Effective anti-depressant to stabilize mood swings
- Slows down the aging process
- Fights against cancer, Alzheimer’s and infections
- Aids in digestive and urinary health.
I also found a recipe (that I’ve included) to try out next week, when I go buy some blueberries.
The recipe is from Tastes better from Scratch. I can’t wait to try it out. It looks really delicious! And I can make this into muffins if I wanted to!
Lemon Blueberry Bread
For The Bread
- 1-1/2 cups + 1 tbsp all purpose flour, divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 heaping cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
For The Lemon Glaze (Optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease well the bottom and sides of a 9×5″ loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, beat together yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, and oil.
- Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet, just until incorporated. In a separate bowl mix the blueberries with 1 Tbsp of flour and then gently fold them into the mixed batter. (I always save a few to stick on top of the loaf after I pour it into the pan).
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 55 minutes – 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For The Glaze: (Optional)
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice and drizzle over the top of the loaf.
- Allow to set/harden before serving.
Make sure to add extra flour for high altitude!
For cupcakes: Bake at 180 degrees C for 20-25 minutes.
I would love to hear what you love about Blueberries?
Do you have a favourite blueberry recipe? Any other benefits I have missed out and love to share with me?